View Single Post
Old 12/04/2007, 03:58 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Some updates:
Well I decided a few weeks ago that I wanted to start running UV. The main reason for this is because I want to keep a tang or two, and hope this will help ward off any ICH. I ended up plumbing the UVB sterilizer and Phosban reactor serially, using a MJ400 to run them both. I decided to not T-off the return any more; this was so that I could get more flow through the sump. Some people say that they see great water clarity differences with the addition of the sterilizers, but I have not noticed that as much. There was some difference but I think this has more to do with the increased volume of water flowing through my filter sock.

Unfortunately, when I was doing this, I also changed out my phosban, but used a bit more than last time. Well my acro's did not seem to like it. I did not get bleaching or RTN but did get color loss. The colors are starting to come back; hopefully there are no long term issues. In the future I am going to use about 1/2 of the recommended dosage. I would prefer to not have to use this at all, but I continue to have elevated P04. I really think that this is because of the rock for the following reasons:
1st - Before any live stock was in the tank, i was testing high P04 with about .5 ppm. Of course I did not test the new NSW going in, which I should have and will start doing.
2nd - I do not feed a lot. Until recently I was feeding lightly every other day. I started feeding more now that I have more fish in the tank. By feeding more, I would say that I normally feed about the quantity of ½ of a cube of mysis or prime reef. I do rotate feedings with Spectra Pellets, frozen Cyclopeeze etc. but you get the idea of my volume of feeding. Basically I follow the 1-2 minute rule with pumps turned off.
3rd - I use RO/DI @ 0 TDS for top off.
4th - My Nitrates are not detectable. If I was overfeeding, I think I would be registering high amounts. I have used the reference solutions and LFS tests to verify my test accuracy.

So basically there can only be two sources that are contributing, my water change water or my rock. Since I think it’s the rock, I have faith that patience will win the race. If I export more than I import the P04 will eventually go away so I skim wet, use Phosban, have chaeto growing well, feed light and blow off the rocks. I do need to perform more water changes, right now I only do 10% per month, but I am going to go to every other week. Also, I blow off the rocks about once a week, I want to start doing this everyday and changing out my filter sock every other day. I do change this out about every third day right now. If there is anything else I can do, please let me know.

On to the good stuff, here are a couple pictures of the newer fish. (The clown is not new, but he happens to be in the first photo)
Here are a couple of pictures of newer wrasses:
The solorensis, the male flasher and the clown.

Sold as a filament, but I think this is a line spot, what do you think? BTW, he is darkeer than the picture shows. In person he looks more like a magenta red than pink/peach.