View Single Post
Old 05/17/2005, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Warm Blooded with a Collar = More Animal Rights!

Quote:
Originally posted by Shoestring Reefer
Give a talk at your local school.
I do reptile programs at local schools and various other wildlife educational events - and while many people find them fascinating, I still get a taste of "The only good snake is a dead snake." every time I'm out. People always feel the need to tell me this drawn out story how their grandpa found a snake near the barn and had to blow its head off with a shotgun or hack it up with a shovel... and when I start pointing out native species that I have on hand 9 times out of 10 they find out it was a harmless snake, very few show any sort of regret. Now what do you think would happen if I went to a Humane Society educational booth at an event and started talking about how I saw a puppy in my yard one day and hacked it up with a shovel? Would anyone want to hear it? Think people would get upset? I agree with all that has been said, but at what point is animal rights just hypocrisy and at what point does it actually protect animals regardless of their disposition or purpose in nature? Theres so many sides to the coin its hard to draw a line - we could all take the PETA approach and say that no animal can be even looked at by a human being for any reason.

D