View Single Post
Old 05/16/2005, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, but if you go and beat on a cow for no reason or kill it slowly they can still get you for animal cruelty. Heheh when I was in Korea we had a dog farm right up the hill from our camp and could hear the dogs getting the axe(well bat actually, makes the meat sweeter or so I am told) every morning when we were standing in formation for PT. Due to the fact in the US farm animals can still get got on animal cruelty, I think it still comes down to in the US that dogs and cats are our "furry friends" and we have much more emotional attatchments to them than we do to a cow or an alligator. Horse steak tastes great but how often do you see it for sale even though it is a farm animal per say? Not very often because they too have been ingrained in our psyche as being companion animals not food animals thus "DONT EAT THEM EEEWW!" The problem is that fish are still relatively new to the scene and do not have the same indoctrination as dogs and cats. After all we have only had them in a large scale for what, maybe 2 generations? Plus they are still not near as wide spread a pet as dogs and cats so dont look for protection for them anytime soon.