Thread: Stupid cucumber
View Single Post
Old 12/21/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Stupid cucumber

Hi,

I've had a red and black cucumber in my 75 gallon reef tank for about 2 years now. It was doing very well. Very active, always cleaning up the sand. It was about 3 inches long. About 8 months ago, it disappeared. I found it 2 months later in the rock work. It was still alive but was only about one inch long and significantly skinnier.

The next day, it was gone again. It crawled back up in the rocks.

I keep going through this hide and seek game and it doesn't look any healthier. It's still only about 1 inch long an skinny compared to a year ago. But, it is still alive as it crawls back up into the rocks. Oddly enough, it is always the same spot.

It looks malnurished but there is plenty of crap for it to eat on the sand bed even with the snails and crabs I have.

I'm worried that it's going to die somewhere in the rocks and cause a big ammonia spike but I hate to just get rid of it because it is still alive. Any suggestions for getting it to come around?

All of the other inverts in the tank are fine (including my other cucumber) and the tank parameters have all been solid except for calcium. It's been on the low side (360-380). I generally keep calcium at 400.

Thanks,

Andy