View Single Post
Old 10/12/2006, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

further RDSB confusion

Okay - not to beat a dead seahorse, but I'm also very confused.

I have read and re-read multiple threads on this issue and I thought a standard 5 gallon bucket would suffice. I just measured my 5 gallon bucket and it's 14" tall, so I am looking at a 10-12" bed, which is apparently on the "low end" for potential NNR per Mr. Calfo. Also, I thought certain research established that anoxic denitrification starts to occur at about 6" of depth (maybe even less) in oolitic beds. Hence my confusion.

Also, I have seen opinions that dsb denitrification is largely dependant on surface area, and concurrent threads indicating that a 10 x 12" bed is insufficient for substantial NNR. A 10 x 12" surface area is not too far off from (and actually exceeds) the surface area of a standard 5 gal. bucket (120 sq. in. v. 113 sq. in.). So, if a 5 gal. bucket's 14" is on the low end of potential NNR, and the surface area is actually less than that of an insufficient sump dsb that measures 10 x 12", why would a 5 gal. bucket be sufficient?

I am also confused on the argonite buffering issue. The main threads seem to indicate it will have some buffering capacity, but I have also seen opinions that for argonite to have any buffering effect one's ph would have to be so low that your reef would likely be dead.

Any clarifications would be greatly appreciated.

"Border relations between Canada and Mexico have never been better." - George W. Bush, Sep. 24, 2001.