View Single Post
Old 12/31/2007, 12:39 AM
Registered Member

Picture of Light Internals

It took a lot longer to finish all the plumbing between my tank and sump/fuge. My overflow was crazy loud, a cross between a toilet flush and waterfall. I installed the DIY Stockman overflow silencer and it did an excellent job changing the sound to a pleasant water trickling sound. I finally found time to disassemble the light and I have loaded a few photos of the internals.

The MH ballast is definitely a magnetic ballast. In the photo, I straightened and taped all the wiring just to make certain that no wires could touch any hot metal surfaces. The factory wiring was probably OK, but I wanted to be extra careful. The only identifying printing on any component was the MH ignitor (see photo). One interesting design feature of this light is the MH socket/reflector component is mounted on a swivel which allows easy access to the bulb without taking the fixture apart (see photo). Definitely appears to be plenty of room to install a cooling fan above the MH bulb/reflector. That will be my next project.

The T5 ballast is in a sealed metal box and mounted on the other side of the fixture.

I included close-up photos of the MH and T5 actinic bulbs.

I also have a couple of tank shots with the MH and T5 lights on. IMO, the bulb colors are good, a nice balance between white and blue. I am pleased with the look and satisfied with the bulb colors.