View Single Post
Old 01/05/2008, 04:05 PM
Limestone cowboy

Re: You gets what ya pays for!

Quote:
Originally posted by MGB
I find it interesting that people are always obsessed with the next great thing, in this case a skimmer. Lets be honest, I'm sure this skimmer will work just fine, just like many other skimmers on the market, and just like many other skimmers it will have it's pros and cons. At the end of the day you bought a "knock off" skimmer that saved you $150-$200. For that saving you got a little less quality and design, which to many people is just fine. Just remember in the long run you get what you pay for, wether it's a skimmer or a car. The one thing I've learned is that if your serious about reef tanks and the equipment needed to successfully run one, and your getting excited about saving $200 on a skimmer your either in the wrong hobby or your in for a serious shock down the line! If you take a look at the majority of successful reefs on RC, they involve a serious financial commitment as well as great husbandry, dedication and obsession. I'm not saying you can't have a successful reef without all the bells and whistles, but if you can't afford to spend $200 on better quality products, maybe your in the wrong hobby.
I agree with most of this.
Where this hurts the hobby is the peple designing the innovative skimmers lose out and these jokers make a quick buck and off to the next.