View Single Post
Old 12/18/2007, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MiddletonMark
I totally agree with your advice.

I don't see a reason for a FW dip [IMO this is stinging, lack of nutrition, or chemistry problems] ... beyond which, stony corals do NOT take well to FW dipping.

Nor do I agree with the `cancer' hypothesis. RTN = coral die-back. It is not a specific disease, and IME normally has to do with chemistry or other happenings in the tank .... it's not a virus/etc that spreads - it's a weak coral that has been overly stressed IME.

I would focus more on coral health [is it eating? how stable is chemistry? have you tested everything including verifying SG + temp with other devices than your standard?] ... and I'd also focus on stinging, giving excess space as many LPS can have up to 6" stinging cells [that only come out for short bits of time often at night, but a couple stings is often enough to kill weak polyps].

JMO, feel free to disagree. But I would not FW dip a stony coral. Nor is my experience with stonies suggest that fragging will `save' a coral ... get the coral back to health, and it'll survive. Leave it in the same conditions, with the same stressors [chemical or stinging tentacle `war'] and it will continue to degrade.

Do you run carbon? Do w/c's often?
I'd consider doing both for the meantime, at least to help rule out chemistry/other issues.
thanks very much for the reply----I realize the life of a moderator is very very busy.
I listed my water parameters above--and they have been consistently stable for months
as far as filtration I am running a dedicated fuge for feeding, and carbon and phosban in reactors.
I did make one change--I took the filter sock off for a couple of weeks---and when cyano started appearing on the substrate I put it back on--if anything that indicates an increase in phosphates athough I did not test for them at the time.
Would appreciate any other input you have--this is the first acan I have had and would like to learn any other tweaking I might have to do for it.
I stop feeding cylopeeze about 2 months ago because the refugium had matured. I only spot feed the elegance coral and the RTA