View Single Post
Old 12/18/2007, 12:26 PM
troublemaker

Quote:
Originally posted by twon8
i disagree with this completely, Ive had dozen+ acros rtn on me and i was able to save some of them by letting them be. and give them good flow and water. Ive saved numerous lps the same way after partial die offs. the cancer bit doesn't apply to corals.

and please dont' fw dip lps. even if they survive they won't be happy. zoas can handle it
I totally agree with your advice.

I don't see a reason for a FW dip [IMO this is stinging, lack of nutrition, or chemistry problems] ... beyond which, stony corals do NOT take well to FW dipping.

Nor do I agree with the `cancer' hypothesis. RTN = coral die-back. It is not a specific disease, and IME normally has to do with chemistry or other happenings in the tank .... it's not a virus/etc that spreads - it's a weak coral that has been overly stressed IME.

I would focus more on coral health [is it eating? how stable is chemistry? have you tested everything including verifying SG + temp with other devices than your standard?] ... and I'd also focus on stinging, giving excess space as many LPS can have up to 6" stinging cells [that only come out for short bits of time often at night, but a couple stings is often enough to kill weak polyps].

JMO, feel free to disagree. But I would not FW dip a stony coral. Nor is my experience with stonies suggest that fragging will `save' a coral ... get the coral back to health, and it'll survive. Leave it in the same conditions, with the same stressors [chemical or stinging tentacle `war'] and it will continue to degrade.

Do you run carbon? Do w/c's often?
I'd consider doing both for the meantime, at least to help rule out chemistry/other issues.