View Single Post
Old 11/26/2007, 12:39 AM
Registered Member

The overflow was actually a DIY skimmer box that I had put together to fit around a tiny powerhead which dishcarged out a small hole in the side (now covered). The box originally had 4 sides and was just clipped to the side of the tank at the correct height. It worked, but only when the water level in the tank was close to the bottom of the teeth. Otherwise, too much water came in below the surface and slicks developed. Probably would have worked over a larger range of water depths with a larger pump, but I switched over to this new acrylic tank to fix water flow issues.

The tiny overflow (2 x 3 inches) is handling the flow from my Rio 2100 return pump at a little over 3 ft of head: the flow is about 400 gph, factoring about 90 % efficiency through the SCWD. Water depth is an inch above the bottom of the overflow's teeth, which leaves me about 1/2 inch of teeth and 1/4 inch above the overflow for a failsafe should the teeth clog. If the DIY elbow clogs...then I'm in trouble. So this configuration probably will not be permanent.