View Single Post
Old 11/09/2003, 12:26 PM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by smiller
Great looking little guy! Can you tell us a little about his eating habits? With a name like Bumpkin maybe greens and grits?
LOL! This one's strictly a carnivore! I'm feeding it gut-loaded live saltwater minnows and Glass shrimp. In captivity, these guys will literally make themselves sick with over-eating or attempting to swallow something too large. I feed fish and shrimp no larger than 1/2 to 3/4 the size of the fish (it's ~2" in length at this time) and only feed 2 of this size every 2-3 days. It has also had a few Guppies and I'll pick up a Mollie now and again. I've only had it a few weeks and hope to eventually switch it over to thawed frozen food in the future, so that I can get more variety in there.

Practically the second food is present, it puts out its lure, which is normally kept closed against its head. The lure is flipped and spun quickly and as soon as the food is within striking distance, the frogfish's mouth extends outward and opens very wide. The strike happens in the blink of an eye!

Cheri