View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sufunk
Junior, from your posts i know that you are all about the aussie acan frags, tyree, le etc... That is fine but again you are purposefully misstating the point.

Obviously it is more expensive to collect from Australia than a 3rd world country BUT the point is despite the higher cost, online vendors are completely reaming their customers with these outrageous per head prices. Yes the cost is higher but they are still paying just a few dollars a head for what they are charging $150-250 a head for. The thread i keep mentioning had pics of 100+ head colonies and they were asking $150-250 a head. Despite how nice, rare, and hard to collect that they may have been, the vendors paid less than 1k MAXIMUM for those entire colonies and were hoping to make 10-25x what they paid for it by chopping them up and touting them as "ONE OF A KIND!". If you think they were spending 5-10k for those colonies, you are very naive but i know that you know they didnt pay nearly that much. Cost of collecting has nothing to do with it, vendors are making higher profit margins than they ever dreamed of on these Aussie acans.

That is BAD business and BAD for our hobby.

As to bashing retailers, if they are gouging people, they should be bashed. Just because they have a few customers that are happy to pay any amount doesnt mean they are not reaming people with their prices. I have no problem paying extreme prices for best of the best. However, "extreme" prices should be within reason. Trying to make a 2000%(not 200%, 2000%!)profit Its a business and they are out to make money but to chop up a colony that cost you maybe 1k to sell it for $150-250 a head to try and get 25k from it is shady imo and you deserve to be bashed.

All delight, i agree with almost everything you say. We as buyers should be helping to dictate prices. However, when you have a bunch of "investors" on here saying that these prices are fair, prices will soon skyrocket, this thread is stupid, etc and justifying these outrageous prices for their own gain, prices will stay insanely high.

This thread is stupid. If you think it is too expensive and that they are gouging you just don't buy it. If no one buys it the price will go down. Its all about supply and demand. Venders need to make their money somehow. If it were so easy to get rich selling coral, everyone and their moms would be doing it. I on the other hand, think my acans were worth every penny that I paid.
actinic shot