View Single Post
Old 01/11/2007, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Well I had been using two seperate RO sustems for some time a 65 GPD Sileniam and a 35 gallon per day unit. These ran constantly for me for about 4 years.

What I had found was that the 65 GPD unit would slow down at about the 4 month mark and if I ran it for a full 6 months it would be lucky to produce a gallon a day.

The 35 gpd usint had a longer life span for me roughly a year between changing elements.

In my experimentation to get better results out of these systems I tried several things,

1. hot water input - increased yield ratio to waste but the RO element life was cut into less than half.

2. Increasing the pressure of the incoming water. Found a definate gane when I went from 30psi to 45psi but higher than that did not seem to help.

3. Changing the micron filters and switching to 1 micron instead of the 5 or 10 I had before. Yield increased, waste water decreased, Ro element life doubled however I was lucky to get a month out of the micron filters. However 12 micron filters are cheaper than 1 RO element.

On the cut off. What I'm planning on doing is using a plunger type cut off (DIY) and put it on the input to the filteration system.So when it shuts off everything shuts off and there will be no added waste water.

Dennis