View Single Post
Old 11/12/2007, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rsman
[b]Should I be monitoring nitrates and nitrites of water output during cycling? I'm only about 2 weeks into cycling and assume the speed up slow down recommendation is for post cycle.[b] NO, the speedup slow down is NOT for post cycle, post cycle you should be leaving these things alone just verify there not cloged and dont touch it.

I would monitor both producing nitrites speed up slowly nitrates slow down slowy no matter if its breakin or broken in once the unit is broken in, and assuming nothing noteworthy has happened between your last waterchange you should not be adjusting your unit, there bio filters they dont respond instantly to huge changes in your waters quality IE a BIG fish dies and decomposes in your tank! if you try to micromanage these they will fail.

Let me ask this a little differently. How many days after setting one of these up should I start adjusting the output for nitrates and nitrites? I assume it won't process nitrates the first day. It needs to cycle. During this cycle it sounds like nitrites will temporary increase. So I assume there is a time when testing output and adjusting doesn't make sense. Please clarify the breakin process.

Thanks