View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

I have a 36" 50 gallon and I made my box 18x4x4. If I had to do it over again I would keep the length the same, it gives me 26 inches of overflow including the sides.

The width is the min I would go since I wanted to have screen on the bulkheads in case a snail or fish got and they have. it is enough width to allow me to unscrew the 3" screens for cleaning. The problem, even with just 4" width and clear bottom is that it blocks some light. There is a shaded spot under the overflow which is not horrible, but I can see it. Since my tank is only 15 inches wide a 4" overhand for the overflow is significant.

The 4" depth is not enough. Without a screen the 1" bulkheads would suck in air and it would make noise. I tried down turned elbows but that will start a siphon and controlling water level in the sump became very hard and I just really didn't want a siphon. I tried a tee with a hole in the top, but it would still suck in some air. With screen the slurping sound is less, but it is still there. It will make a little noise every 10 seconds or so as some air gets sucked down. If the overflow were an inch deeper along with the bulkheads I think it would be fine.