Thread: hitchhikersq
View Single Post
Old 12/11/2006, 02:20 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Re: hitchhikersq

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8711561#post8711561 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nematode
Brian,
With all due respect, I think its not appropriate to call organisms that happen to appear on in our tanks due to indroduction with live rock as "hitchhickers". This gives the impression they are somehow not supposed to end up on our live rock!!
These are actually organisms that naturally live on live rock found in the ocean.
You move the live rock into your tank and they come along also.
It is to be expected that these organism should arrive with everything else.
And as transport times, methods for packaging, etc improve a larger and larger variety of naturally occuring organism will appear magically on live rock because they are SHOULD be there.

Perhaps we should talk about introduction of diverse fauna into the aquarium, but please drop the hitchhicker nomenclature.

Sincerely
nematode
Nematode,

I appreciate your response and while hitchhikers have received a bad reputation, I was only using the term because it is the most commonly used term for what comes attached, rightfully, as you point out, to live rock.

Personally, before reading your response I considered the term hitchhiker a neutral term, with the word "good" or "bad" in front determining people's opinion of the word. I ordered my live rock from Florida with the express purpose of getting hitchhikers. Perhaps your phrase "diverse fauna" is the better term, I was simply going with the most commonly recognized term.

I do see your point and I hope the focus of my article on respecting the diverse fauna coming in on our rocks helps to educate people on being aware and respectful of it.

Brian