View Single Post
Old 12/27/2006, 12:04 AM
Premium Member

Update

The 11 larvae moved to a clean tank are still fine.
Interestingly,all the three proposed mechanisms explaining the very long larval life of this shrimp seem to be working here.Between the 7th zoea (Z7) where all the legs develop and the stage where pleopods (swimmerettes)show, I found some new stages.
While many of the larval structures show slight though definite changes,the feature one must look to follow these stages is the development of the antenna called flagellum of A2,and itīs relation with the basal plate,called the scale.

So following are the observed stages:

Z7-day 18.Flagellum is a short blunt bud.

Z8-day 26.Flagellum is longer and slender with two apical setae (hairs in the tip).Reaches the point in the scale where setae start,about 1/4 the length of the scale.

Z9-day 33.Flagellum almost reaches half of the scale.

Z10-day 36.Flagellum reaches the fork of A1,the antennula,or almost the total length of the scale.Pleopod buds show but only of the 3rd and 4th pairs.

Of course I must repeat these observations many times and document them with pictures.And find and describe new stages.This is not a formal academic description,of course.Just a practical,hobbyist oriented staging key to monitor the long larval development of this shrimp.As long as they help me by staying alive,that is!