View Single Post
Old 11/23/2006, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

perhaps i can help since i raise xenia in my tanks. First off, xenia need lots of watermovement... not necessarily fast movement but a large amount of flow will help. second, they can live in water temps anywhere from 73 to 83 and i've heard all the way up to 85... yes my heater broke and then my fans broke on another occasion and i came home to a tank warm as a bath. third, while they do seem to like a bit higher nitrates, they still thrive in 0 nitrates. as long as temp, current, and water parameters are all in check the xenia should thrive. There is one variable left... lighting.... over my 92 corner i have 1 250 watt mh, 1 175watt mh, and 4x65watt power compacts. On my 125 i have 3 175 watt mh and 4 36inch 60 watt t5s. My frined on his 80 has the current t5 fixture with 8 54watt t5s and half his tank is xenia.
Xenia dont benefit from direct feeding because they dont have mouths, and apparently no one can figure out why it even pulses. I've heard different theories on keeping 2 kinds of xenia together.

1. i'v e heard that it helps keeping either colony from crashing

2. the 2 different kinds of xenia compete for the same nutrients and neither one thrives since its constantly competeing with eachother.

i'm leaning more towards the 2nd theory cause i ahve probablly 60 stalks or more of xenia umbelata and the xenia elongata (the brown longer xenia) just cant compete it doesnt look all that healthy while the other thrives. in my 125 its reversed. the elongata thrives while the umbelata grows much more slowly. Both tanks are 78 degrees, both have adequate lighting and circulation, both have refugiums, both have perfect water parameters.

I guess its just one of natures mysteries... hope i could help. ask me if u have any other questions i'd be happy to help.