View Single Post
Old 07/17/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by elegance coral
What lighting is it under now? If it is still very large after 2 months under the same lights I would try to mimic those lights. I have been told that they have just opened a new area for collecting Elegance corals. I Recently bought a shallow water coral that was not from Australia, so I think there may be something to this story. The coral you are talking about is probably a shallow water coral. Most of the deep water corals have been damaged to some extent by the time they reach our LFS so they aren't very large. If you could snap a couple of pics of the coral and post them here I would most likely be able to tell you if it is a shallow water coral or a deep water coral. A shallow water coral would not do well under the PC lighting. I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance, but with shallow water Elegance corals coming into the hobby now it's difficult to say what lights an Elegance needs without seeing the coral.
The lighting its under is kind of a skewed subject. It is under a 6 foot long tank that has a 400W and 250 W halide over it, however, the lights are about 3-4ft off the surface!!!!They are really up there. Not to mention the elegance is in a far corner of the tank, away from the point source of the MH bulb about 2.5-3 ft horizontally from it. Not to mention the tank is probably 24-30 inches deep. I wouldnt call it high light at all albeit obviously under PC's it will still be less light than it is getting now.

Flow was mentioned by another poster. The flow in my sump is weak sauce...intentionallly. Thats where it would be residing, definitely not in display.

I want to be very careful as this specimen is quite pricey. List price is 250, of course I wont pay this, but will likely be around 200 bucks for it so I dont want to go killing the sucker or having to buy more lighting that would be applicable to the tank I am about to set up.