View Single Post
Old 11/13/2006, 10:41 AM
President emeritus, ORCA

I'm sorry, but I don't agree...Blame the seller. They are the ones pricing it. Just because a coral is cool doesn't make it rare. Just because a coral is rare doesn't make it cool. I hate when sellers add rare to things like common acans or certain zoos just to double the price. Do you know how much that awesome blue, purple, orange, pink, green, and red acan cost the importer? Same as the red and grey one. If you can't blame the exporter, the importer, and the wholesaler, there are only two places to lay blame: the retailer and the consumer. Higher price lowers demand (for most products), by the rules of economics 101. Demand decreases as price increases or supply increases.
I don't want to buy the Jendubs Acan for $800 per polyp, but I would buy it for $20 per polyp. By this reasoning, your assumptions are a little off-based. I will not go on a rant (like I sometimes do), I'll just leave it at this: blame the retailers as they are the ones up-pricing all these items. It's really sad to see there is no price gouging laws for corals and livestock. To see a pair of picasso percula clownfish now selling for $500 when they buy them from ORA for under $50 each is absolutely disgusting. Stop the destruction of our hobby by buying from people with ethical practices.

Would this woman buying a $1000 dollar purse still buy it if it were $10? Rarity can increase price, color can increase price, but promotion and hype should not.

People should not be able to make a 500%-1000% profit on something they got so cheap they could almost laugh.