View Single Post
Old 12/22/2007, 01:03 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by madadi
some of my sps seem to have insane polyp extension today. i just dosed 1000mg once in the morning and in the evening. i usually have good polyp extension though. keeping my fingers crossed because im still worried about that ORP. it did climb back up to normal levels by night time. now it was at 330 but drops to well bellow 150 every time i drop a pill in. weather ORP is good or bad who knows but im worried such a big fluctuation is noticeable by the corals and it might stress them in the long run. either way Jeni's tank looked great so i will continue to add it and see what happens.

i just threw in a 1000mg pill, i don't know if thats considered starting of slow in a 110g water volume system.
What you see is the antioxidant properties of the vitamin C, what it tells is that when recently added you have more reduction potential than oxidizing potential as the vitamin give up electrons the ORP starts to rise, by the time the ORP is back to normal the vitamin is gone.
As you can see unfortunately most of the vitamin reacts very quickly with water compunds so little is really taken up by the critters.
In addition it will consume some of your alkalinity (thus the drop in PH) just keep an eye on the alkalinity level and you will be OK.

If you are not adding Kalk with your top off, you may want to try adding the vitamin via your RO/DI top off so you have a more continuous (less spiky) availability.