View Single Post
Old 12/22/2007, 12:31 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
Interesting... How is it monitored? Does that have to do with the dissolved O2 in the water? Why do you think the C would affect that?

I really don't think geoxman meant it that way. Remember, stuff written on forums are not always interpteted as they are meant to sound.
ORP really has to do with every reaction in your system where a chemical is either oxidizing or reducing (Gaining or loosing electrons).
Basically it has been associated with the water quality the higher it is but in reality it does not mean much other than a higher ORP means that your water has more oxidizing capacity and not necessarily because there is more Oxygen in it but more oxidizing agents.
Of course excess oxidizing kills, bleach, iodine, permanganate and Ozone are examples of oxidizers and in certain way they are all used to disinfect and sterilize if used in excess and they increase ORP
On the other hand Iron, Iodide, and antioxidants like vitamin C are reducers so they reduce the ORP.
What does that really mean? Nothing unless you are either extremely low (below 200 to 150 mv) or extremely high (above 450 mv)
Most aquariums under normal circumstances is between 250 to 375 mv.
Because all this reactions are happening all the time and involve the potential for electron transfers, ORP can be measured by using a probe that can measure the movement of those electrons in millivolts between two electrodes in the probe.
Here is a take to ORP and what it is and what it is not:

ORP and the Reef Aquarium
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

Last edited by jdieck; 12/22/2007 at 12:52 AM.