View Single Post
Old 02/09/2005, 09:46 PM
Team RC Member

The research involved with second hand smoke is flawed at best. There is no factual evidence of health problems associated with it. Is it unhealthy. Heck yea it is. No question. Just no REAL proof. You can prove anything you want by manipulating the data. It is one of those things that the study of it cannont be performed.

This smoking issue has gotten so out of hand that other rights are being infringed upon. I.e. banning in business'. What right does a local government have telling a small bus. owner what to do. If the community doesn't like the fact that smoking goes on in Joes bar and grill, they won't go and he'll go out of bus. That is called capitalism. That is what our county is. This is NOT a democracy. Next they'll try to tell you that you can't have red carpet in your home. Yes, your home. How do you like that. Red has been proven to cause anger and agressiveness. That could be dangerous to society.

On the other hand, the whole McDonalds thing CAN be proven to be harmful. In fact, a smoker will probably live longer than a obese person. Don't quote me on numbers and that is just a life observation with no research behind it. I've had 3 people close to me die of lung cancer and way more from weight related issues.

Now in a car, I'm not so sure how much smoke is actually being directly induced to a child. There is the window cracked (or should be). It does stink though. I guess first would be to PROVE 2nd hand smoke issues. Then do a study on exposure in cars w and w/o windows cracked, venting, and even venting by different car designs.

What about parents who both work. The children are missing an extremely important part of thier development which HAS been proven. Same with broken families. Is that child abuse? Is that society abuse. Could you sue the single mom that has a child go to prison because your taxes pay for it? Our society has gotten out of hand. Sueing Tobacco companys. That needs to be stopped people and to sit and let that $^%# is rediculous. In the 60's no one thought it was ok. Give me a break. My Great grandfather died of a stroke and the hospital told my great grandmother it was probably due to him smoking and that was 1964. My mother was told to stop smoking when she was pregnant with me and I was born in 1965.

I hope that all smoking stops and it just dissappears from society but everyone needs to quit looking for how they're being done wrong.

It never ends. We just have to do our best as we see it.