View Single Post
Old 02/09/2005, 09:36 PM
Call Me Ishmael...

Quote:
Originally posted by Sierra
Also - Smoke doesnt give you a migraine it just gives you a bad headache - Smoke constricts blood vessels which makes it hard for your body to carry oxygen to your brain etc... - That is not a migraine. Trust me I've had a few migraines.
Smoke, most alcohol (luckily, not Vodka), bright light directed into my eyes, and sudden changes from dark to light are all my migraine triggers. (Seeing a movie in a theater is a guaranteed migraine for me.... Thank you, Pay-Per-View!)

Yes, a thick cloud of smoke (the old "butt huts", smoking areas in restaurants, etc.) trigger a true migraine for me. Walking past a smoker on the street won't do it. But, a sustained conversation with that person for several minutes usually will if I'm down wind.

Bad headaches don't include loss of hearing and vision on my right side, difficulty comprehending, and difficulty with forming basic speech -- that's a typical migraine for me.

I've had them since I was 18 (I'm now 31). Imitrex (oral/nasal/IM) no longer works for me. Frova works if I take it within 5-10 minutes of the trigger. Midrin works (multiple doses over 24 hours) if taken within 30-60 minutes of the trigger.

I also take a couple of things daily as prophylactics to try and reduce the frequency of the migraines.... They were a near daily occurence for me about 8 years ago.

With that said: Everyone that has migraines has a different set of triggers. The "fun" is finding out what they are.

And, yes, I agree with you. If smoking is allowed in the area, there's no need to attack someone about it.