View Single Post
Old 11/20/2007, 06:00 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by ATB USA
The final small will be 10.5 inch base 5in neck air intake should be 850-900L/hr of air
Yeah, if I pull my eheim off the skimmer, it gets 900-960lph now. The back pressure from the higher water level in the skimmer cuts it down to 850lph. With the larger diameter body on the new ones, the skimmer will be able to be mounted in deeper sumps w/o microbubbles, so the air intake should go back up. If Anton does everything to the 1260 that he does to the 1250, this pump could do 1600lph no doubt. Enlarging the volute like H&S would do even more. But just boring out the outlet to 1-1/8", adding a face bonded outlet, and contouring the insides might do alot as well... but isnt really needed. 850lph is alot for my Small... it doesnt really produce more skimmate with the extra air... just wetter. With the 5" neck and a 10.5" base, this skimmer will be perfect.

Victor has an extra 1250 pump w/ threadwheel (cracked in shipping) that I was hoping to get. I will most likely run my Small with this pump, so I can see how this skimmer was like with its original design.

Lol, my brand new skimmer is 'dated'... well, I suppose, thats what it was supposed to be: a test sample to get everything just right for the US. I cant complain, and I dont think anyone else with a Small can either. Sure, there will be a newer one soon, but its not like this one doesnt skim the living daylights out of my tank!

With all the increases in size, it has come up that ATB might be neglecting the smaller tanks.

So there are two ideas: A HOB, from the design I have, it would be about 10" wide, 3" thick, and about 16" tall, and run off of a Aquaclear 70 powerhead (pump in the skimmer compartment, not in the tank). As some of you remember from the 'pimp my pump 801' thread, I got it up to 400lph easily with just a threadwheel impeller and a custom volute. These things would be easy for Anton to make. Aimed squarely at other HOB's in the $200-250 range, but this one would produce more air, have a bubble plate, and a variation on the pyramid/cone shape.

The other idea is merely a 'pico' model... similar to the current ones, same Aquaclear 70 pump as the HOB, but with about a 4.5"-5" base, 3" neck, about 16" tall. It could be made cheaper because at that size, 3/16" or even 1/8" acrylic could be used for the cone. It would get 300-350lph of air, and use about a 4.5"-5" diameter collection cup. This would be aimed at the 75g and under crowd (based on the ATB ratings, a 100g tank is possible... if lightly stocked IMO).

Last edited by hahnmeister; 11/20/2007 at 06:10 PM.