Thread: Beloved Anemone
View Single Post
Old 10/18/2001, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

I don't understand why everone gets so upset about taking anemones from the wild when we take so many fish and corals from the wild as well. Is it because anemones live so long int he wild and are more difficult to maintain in captivity. If that is the case I have had a lot of luck with anemones compared to a few SPS corals that got RTN on me. A lot of fish die in our hobby, should we not take them? A lot of various animals depend on the corals and fish we take as well to survive besides the clown fish and anemone relationship. I think people are so against having anemones more because it is trendy and it makes people feel like they are so conservation minded. Well if you own any animal taken form its home in the wild you are supporting the deaths of the many thousands of fish and corals that die in transportation to the USA from thier home.

With that said, I think it is okay to take animals from the ocean for our hobby, if properly watched it is a renewable resource and hopefully someday it will led to us raising our own animals. I am just a little tired of hearing how horrible people are for buying anemonies, I think that is just lame and hypocritical. The only people who can complain are those who just have captive raised animals. If you don't you are just as bad as the 'evil' anemone owners like me. IME I know a lot more people who have anemones for years compared to those with SPS and a lot of fish. Get off the band wagon.