View Single Post
Old 01/06/2008, 09:01 AM
Team RC Member

No pics yet Melev. You have a very sweet tank btw my friend. Proof that hard and soft corals can co-exist

****CORRECTION****

I wrote

"It is very easy to determine excessive/too much flow. If the skirts are being blown over the oral opening, this is too much flow."

Why? Current blowing polyps that causes them to almost lay parallel to the substrate is too much as the thrashing of a polyp, ( A ) prevents enjoyment of the polyps aesthetically by the viewer/owner. ( B ) excessive current will cause the polyps to cup/retract.

I wrote

"If you are able to gently wiggle the skirts to the point that they won't retract, then you have found the optimal flow for your polyps. It's just that simple."

The reason I stated this is not because I'm a Marine Biologist, marine anything, nor do I have any formal educational training enough to make that statement. It was purely from many many years of setting up different systems and achieving the exact same results time and time again. I didn't want to mislead anyone into thinking that I have some crazy study or trials that support my statements. It was from simple observation only.

Thanks, Mucho

PS. good current is a major factor/contributor to skirt/tentacle elongation.

Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 01/06/2008 at 09:08 AM.