View Single Post
Old 01/05/2008, 01:50 PM
TRC Leader

That is interesting Mucho. I have never tried to blow out the zoanthid colonies in my tank to remove trapped detritus. I'll have to try that and see what happens. (I'm pretty sure you'll be 100% correct.)

In tanks that have wave boxes or pumps that pulse to create waves, I bet the detritus is lifted out nicely.

On my own system, I've got three VorTech pumps. Prior to that I had two Tunze 6100s. The Tunzes had a controller that would alternately ramp up or down each pump, always at the opposite speed of its counter part. That worked nicely.

With the new VorTechs, I have all three running at about 2000 gph, maybe slightly higher. Each one runs in Reefcrest or Lagoon mode, which means the flow varies either sharply or smoothly (lagoon). I've got all three set to run completely independent of the other pumps, so that they can not communicate with each other. I feel that that is more random than not.

Once I find a spot that I like for each pump, I tend not to move it. Occasionally it may need a very slight adjustment as corals grow, but that's pretty much it. I have toyed with the thought of adding other equipment like the WavySea / SeaSwirl, but cost, more equipment, and electricity usage tends to sweep those thoughts away time after time.