View Single Post
Old 12/22/2007, 11:11 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
Originally posted by Air Cooled V.W.
I was @ Soo Pass Ranch for 2005, I think that is the second 10KLF maybe? My buddy from Cleveland produces 10KLF and 1 of the owners of the festival lives near me also. Anyway Detroit Lakes is an awesome place and I can't wait to go back there this summer. What do the locals think of the difference between 10KLF and the We festival? I talked with several security guys from there about the two.
The 10KLF crowd (now about 25,000 per day) spends no money in town. The merchants and convenience store operators report record-setting shoplifting and gas drive-offs during the festival.

The ambulance service and ER see huge numbers of serious drug-related illnesses and multi-drug overdoses. We are able to collect a bill on about 10% of the patients, as they give false names and addresses on registering. All of the bills for service are returned as undeliverable.

The county court system is still sifting through the drug arrests to this day from the July festival. 15-25 people are arrested for large-scale drug sales and possession each year.

Two people died at the festival this year due to drug overdoses.

Needless to say, the 10KLF is not highly valued in town. Overall, it is a tremendously costly event to merchants, law enforcement and health care in Detroit Lakes.