View Single Post
Old 12/23/2002, 12:11 PM
Coral Cutter! Muahaha!

I ran my set up with a natural ecosystem for nearly a year. In that time I had cyano and hair algae outbreaks left and right. IMO the tank just looked aweful. Theres nothing worse than scrubbing & scooping out a mess of cyano on a weekly basis. Even with only 3 small fish, extremely light feedings every 3 days, I just couldn't kill it off.

I put on a skimmer, and it reduced the algaes and cyano by half. I put on an ozonizer, and they totally disappeared.

Corals expanded increadibly and the fish never looked better. The tank water was crystal clear (was yellowish even after weekly 20% water changes).

Also....

The unfortunate problems with cyano is that it oxidizes and releases microbubble gases into the system. These could lead to "gas bubble disease" for fish. It can also lead to excellerating other pathogens of fish and coral diseases in the system.

I would rather maintain a heathy, clean tank than subject my livestock to unlivable conditions.