View Single Post
Old 05/08/2007, 11:15 AM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
The “soapy” residue you see in your tanks is due to the types of anti-foams they use in their process. This can be seen in the total organic carbon measurements and if you compare OCI’s soda ash, you will find it containing much lower total organic carbon. I doubt you will see soapy residue or smell perfume when you try OCI material.

OK it sounds like we didn't read this accurately.

This i was his response to my question .

Quote:
To my knowledge, all soda ash manufacturers use antifoams in their process. Some manufacturers utilize activated carbon to remove these materials. OCI Chemical uses activated carbon to reduce total organic carbons.
In the end it is up to each individual reefer and what they think is the best solution. I will keep exploring other samples as I get them in. For now I have been extremely satisfied with the FMC product as a quality alternative to baking the baking soda, It mixes up clear with no perfume fragrance and a handful of local reefers and myself have witnessed nothing but positive results. The more readily available A&H washing soda may very well be safe to use but the color, fragrance and lingering micro bubbles made me uncomfortable enough to try and seek out a better option.

Hopefully other people can use this thread as the beginning of their own research for the type of soda ash they feel most comfortable using.

Last edited by Snarkys; 05/08/2007 at 11:32 AM.