Thread: 10 gal clam???
View Single Post
Old 11/29/2005, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

My brother kept three clams in a 2 1/2 gallon tank for about six months with no problems. He had a small corallife compact fluorescent fixture. I'm not sure, but I think it was 18 watts. The clams were a 6in teardrop maxima, a 2 to 3 inch gigas, and a 3in crocea. The maxima had a cool little clear shrimp with dots on it, living inside of it. In the tank there were also six blue leg hermits, a peppermint shrimp, several small colonies of zoos, a piece of live rock, 1 in sand bed, and an unidentified crab that came in on the rock. He did a water change about once a week and replaced about one inch of evaporated water per day with RO. No major problems. He kept his ac on 70 degrees F and the tank never got too hot. I thought that little light fixture was going to cook the tank but it never did. The gigas grew about half an inch in that time the others grew a little but nothing remarkable.
This is the tale that was told to me by the man with the crystal eye, As I smoked my pipe in the camp-fire light, and the Glories swept the sky; As the Northlights gleamed and curved and streamed, and the bottle of "hooch" was dry. -Robert Service