View Single Post
Old 02/24/2006, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Extreme Tank Makeover!

I've been planning to upgrade my tank from a 90 gallon to a 220 gallon for a while. Looks like this will be the weekend.

Here's some of the new equipment:

Deltec AP702 Skimmer with Self Cleaning Head
Deltec EcoChiller (2 fan unit)
Deltec Calcium reactor PF601
Deltec Fluidize Reactor FR509 (For ROWA)
Deltec KM500 Kalk Stirrer
(I guess you know where I bought the new tank, )

2 - 10K 400w MH
1 - 20K 400w MH

2 VHO

220 Gallon Closed Loop
2 Sea Swirls for random current on top.
1 Oceans Motions 4 way. This will drive the water to 4 lines to the bottom of the tank. 2 will flow at a time and shift the water from side to side. The lines will be hidden by the live rock.

Custom sump to mount the chiller and skimmer. Overflow tap at the top of the sump and connected to the drain. Skimmer self cleaning head is also connected to the drain.

Automatic RO/DI top off. The water source is connected to a hot/cold temperature control valve to keep the water around 78 - 80 degrees for efficient RO/DI operations. Reduces the waist water.

Custom stand that extends behind the tank about 6 inches deeper than most 220 stands. This is to accommodate the custom sump. I also mounted 4 Power Strips with switches back behind the tank. The stand has side boards that will slide back to expose the switches.

I have a side cabinet that will hold a 25 gallon salt water mixing tank with mixing and transfer pumps. All I have to do is add salt and open the RO/DI valve. It has an overflow tap as well in case of over fill. To change water all I have to do is turn on the sump discharge and then turn on the salt water transfer pump. No more hauling those d*mn 7 gallon buckets!

The lights will be on the same timers that I have today.

Last weekend I added 4 supports under the floor consisting of 4 concrete piers and 4 - 4x4's. I also had plumbing (hot/cold and sewer ran under the floor to the tank location.

So,,,,,, now the work begins. Tomorrow I empty the existing 90 gallon. I'll move all SPS, etc. to several holding tanks over night. Marvin will be here Sunday morning and we hook up the new tank. I'll take photo's along the way and start posting as soon as I get a chance.

Hey Prop_Frags (Michael) are you available on Sunday?