View Single Post
Old 07/26/2004, 09:55 AM
TRC Leader

Chris and Barry used their trucks to carry the canopy, woodwork and steel stand.

When we got back to my house, the first thing we did was all guzzle down some nice cold RO water. Next, we struggled with that stupid sump again, and got it under the new platform. (sigh)

Again, we mapped out how we would carry the tank and insert it into position. We moved more stuff out of the garage to make sure we had plenty of maneuvering space, and now 9 of us brought it in, as John joined the group with fresh strong muscles.

Even though I intentionally left the foam sheet oversized in case it moved, and even though we put soapy water on the surface so the tank wouild slide, the sheet moved forward and there was nothing we could do to put it where it needed to be. So we cut some small pieces to fit in the spaces where there was none, and then pushed the tank into its final spot.

YAY!!

Again, I want to thank all of you that helped move my dream tank. Evan decided to stay and volunteered to clean the tank. As noted above, he was able to use the "Dawn" scrubber, as well as plastic scrapers and sometimes metal ones. Because the tank was dry, he would spray a spot with tank water with a spray bottle, then scrub or scrape away the algae.

Meanwhile, John rinsed out three buckets of live sand that came out of a 120g yesterday. I didn't want to chance phosphates being released into my new system, so he poured some of the LS into a bucket and ran water through it until it ran clear. All this rinsed sand was added to the LS that came with the tank, and stirred up. There is probably 2.5" of sand in the tank now.

At this point, Kaveh came over and started cleaning all the equipment. He cleaned the Tunze Streams, the LifeReef skimmer, the Durso standpipes and returns, locline, etc. Working over the sink with various instruments including dental tools, he proudly produced nice clean parts - ready to use again.

One thing we discovered during the move was that he bulkheads had to be replaced. While the guys were cleaning, I drove to Brad's house to get new bulkheads, then to Home Depot to get all new plumbing for the drains, returns, and closed loop.

Evan found all kinds of snails that were transferred into the fish barrel.