View Single Post
Old 06/11/2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

This is indeed an interesting thread. I don't check the LPS forum very often and nearly missed it!
I can share a couple elegance coral observations with you as well. I have two of them, both are sitting on the sandbed about 18" under a 250w DE XM10K halide. I have had one about 5 months and the other is only three weeks old now.
The first one has doubled in size, the base is about 4" across. When I first got it, it had the typical green oral disk and tan tentacles. Now, both the oral disk and tentacles are a uniform neon green color, and the tentacles are usually more "puffier" then when it first got it and deflates most of the way at night.
The second elegans coral was purchased about 3 weeks ago. It is good sized, the base kind of zig-zags and is about 8" across in both directions. It too sits on the sandbed under the 10K halide and touches the other elegance. When I first got it, it would go through several cycles of "puffing" and deflating during the day, maybe two or three times. Recently, it stays inflated all day and deflates at night.
I feed both of them small pencil-eraser (at most!) pieces of silversides every four days to once a week. I also have their bases partially buried in the sand, and to me, they seem "happiest" when they expanded polyp itself is laying right on the sand.
I have also noticed something else, and am trying to figure out if it is "real" or not. It seems they don't inflate as much when I run carbon. I have it in a reactor and run it one day a week, and it seems they tend to not expand as much when I am running it. I do also skim heavily and run ozone.
Anyway I just wanted to share some observations with all of you FWIW.

Jeff

<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><

Jeff