View Single Post
Old 01/12/2008, 02:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcliffy2
I dont think that rock will hurt, but it does not look porous in the least, so it doesnt seem like it will do a very good job of biological filtration. but that said, its not gonna hurt anything either. The one other suggestion I have is not going with the Tunze 9010, you need waaaaay more skimmer than that. Did I mention you need more skimmer? Kidding aside, I have one on my 125 and it is way undersized. Unless you are doing fish only Id look to other options for your skimmer.

Love the tank otherwise tho, those dimensions are very cool, I'll be interested to see how this one unfolds.
Thanks.

I believe the tunze 9010 is rated for around 200 to 250g. Having said that, I also realise that most people over-spec their skimmers. I plan on keeping the tank fairly open, aquascaping wise, so I think it should handle a 200g lightly stocked with no problems. I also plan to be pretty consistent with medium to large water changes so that should help.

If I find I need more skimming power I can always upgrade later on.

I also take your point about the rocks. Yes they are not the most porous option but a lot of base rock sold I have seen is not. As I have said, I will be adding about the same amount again in LR, as well as having a fairly large rdsb, so I'm confident that should handle a medium to light bioload.

The tank is slowly filling with ro water as we speak. Shouldn't be long until its full. I have leak tested the overflow and associated plumbing and all is good. I don't intend to do anything fancy plumbing wise, as all of my flow is from tunzes in the tank, so I'm happy to go fill the tank (almost) without the sump in place yet (as I haven't got it yet)

Here is a picture.