View Single Post
Old 01/10/2008, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

I don't want to start an argument but there flaws in your statement.

Quote:
Originally posted by ozyreefa
I dont know where people are going wrong with this, if you have a bulkhead over flow, put something over it to partially block it, you will notice the water level in the sump drops a little and the level of water in the tank raises a little.
Again, what causes the level in the tank to rise? An increase in pressure from the pump.

Quote:
Thats it.The only way it would create more head pressure is if you needed to make the return pipe taller, which you will not.
Not true. The height of the return pipe is not the height you need to measure. The distance from the pump to where the water overflows is the distance relating to the pressure head. You have to think of the tank space between the pump outlet and the overflow as part of the "return pipe", otherwise you could just plumb your return through the bottom of the tank.

Quote:
I suppose alot has to do with where your return pipe enters the tank, but for the majority of us who have the return just below the surface of the water,
You are correct it does matter where the return pipe enters but only in relation to where the overflow is. If your return pipe is above the overflow then it would not matter if the surface level rose (as long as it was still below the return), but you would already be using more energy to raise the water above the point where it is overflowing.

Quote:
the increase in head pressure would be fractional, particularly with returns that loop over the top of the tank.
You are also corret that the increase would probably be fractional,
but any energy recovered would be an even smaller fraction. Thereby using more energy which is the exact opposite of what the original point of this thread was.

Last edited by simmons797; 01/10/2008 at 03:23 PM.