View Single Post
Old 08/20/2007, 01:59 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by Elliott
Wolverine: yes, there is no doubt this hobby falls way short of being "green" and probably always will. However the degree to which it falls short can be improved upon, I think significantly. Successful reefkeeping requires a greater understanding from the Hobbyist and hopefully with that will come a greater appreciation of this delicate resource. Judging by the growth of RC lately it appears a greater number of Hobbyist's are eager to learn more.
There are definitely a number of ways the hobby can be a lot more green, many of which have already been discussed in this forum.

One of the biggest problems in this hobby is that the average hobbyist only stays in the hobby about a year and rarely goes online. It is this group of hobbyists that buys just about anything and doesn't take the time to read up on how to do things properly. They don't understand aquaculture is important and that people can even raise things in captivity. A large percentage of the mortality of wild caught animals is this uniformed group of hobbyists that want a "pet Nemo" that give up when everything in their tanks "mysteriously" dies. Getting this rapidly overturning group of people educated about the declining health of coral reefs is one of the biggest challenges to slowing the damage from the hobby.

Not saying this is the biggest problem, there are many things many groups of people can do, but this problem is not mentioned as often.

Brian