View Single Post
Old 07/19/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

This is a great question - IMHO it is a double edged sword, for a few reasons:
Even if you go - captive bread, frag only - you are buying consumables that are adding to pollution, ecological destruction etc

on the flip side, if no one did anything, species may be lost forever and people otherwise ignorant (like i was) would never know what they are destroying.

there is more to the question than just fish and corals - i.e energy consumption is huge!

so here is my take:

be as responsible as possible, support aquaculture, frag and share, educate those that don’t know IF THEY ASK, if not, post in places like this to give an opinion, not a lecture - in my experience no-one likes a lecture. Support green energy, i pay a monthly fee to my power company to support green energy. And finally, don’t support LFS that stock exotic, rare species, it all starts with grass roots movement - no one is perfect, and we are not right all the time, but so long as you do things with the best intentions and try, then it will all turn out in the wash.

I also think that maybe we should all donate our ashes to artificial reefs (Google it) - and support a reef restoration project somewhere, anyone who knows some good ones - post them
here.