View Single Post
Old 01/18/2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
That's a great idea, Jonathan. I guess you just pump the "T'd off" water back into the return section so that the sump doesn't necessarily receive extra flow?
Not exactly. After hearing and reading about umpteen stories of micro-bubble problems, I installed a dual sump system with two 2" lines between and BVs.

This gives me a lot of flexibility while elimanating micro-bubbles from the display. I have an in-bound sump and an out-bound sump. The inbound sump has the inflow lines from the overflow as well as all my probes. The skimmer sits in the inbound sump but empties into the outbound sump. In teh out-bound sump I have heaters and rubble, as well as the effluent from my Ca and Kalk reactors.

The nice thing about dual sumps is taht I can take one offline any time I want, drain it, clean it, etc. and still have a working system. In fact I keep the water volume lower than half so that either one can absorb the water from the other or from the skimmer...I have had a lot of floods and this type of system helps me avoid that!

Here is a shot of the outbound sump:

And a shot of the sumps next to each other.

For your application, I don't think you could really do this, but the element of having the by-pass line is still valid for any sump situation. You just need to make sure it doesn't add bubbles to the display. If you need more pics let me know. Click on the red house to see various tank room shots.