View Single Post
Old 01/18/2007, 03:40 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Just after the pump output, I have a "T" with the straight side returning to the display, and the T side having a valve and line going back to the sump. I can change the flow by adjusting this valve, and as systems age, it helps to have extra flow that can be brought into play to make of for growth inside the return lines.

I can change the flow though my overflow just by turning that valve. I prefer this method to using a valve to actually restrict the pump like so many people do. I don't like to put any more back pressure than I have to by design.
That's a great idea, Jonathan. I guess you just pump the "T'd off" water back into the return section so that the sump doesn't necessarily receive extra flow?

And for those who are concerned about how much we are spending on the tank, keep in mind the following:
1. if you do it right the first time, very few if any upgrades and/or repairs are required and you actually save money
2. we require reliable equipment since the office will be closed on evenings, weekends and holidays
3. this tank will be a reflection of me and my colleagues, and we want it to look clean and professional
4. we want the kids in the waiting room to view a reef that's as natural as possible, not watching John pull out hair algae, and last but not least,
5. no one goes into this hobby to save money.