View Single Post
Old 01/18/2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by swannking
It is the length of the overflow box that determines the volume of flow that it can handle ie. from the tank to the overflow. How fast the water inside the overflow box drain into the sump is determined by the size of the drain. Since yours is 94", there is no issues. If your length of the overflow is much less, let say 12", then the water in the tank can't get to the overflow box fast enough and the main tank water level will rise until it overflows.
true, but a 12" overlow for a large tank would be a poor design. Myself, I am a big proponent of coast-to-coast overflows.

Teeth spacing matters of course. Having a by-pass line on the output of the return pump is really the only economical way to ensure that you have the proper flow. It also helps in priming the main pump in certain situations. Just after the pump output, I have a "T" with the straight side returning to the display, and the T side having a valve and line going back to the sump. I can change the flow by adjusting this valve, and as systems age, it helps to have extra flow that can be brought into play to make of for growth inside the return lines.

I can change the flow though my overflow just by turning that valve. I prefer this method to using a valve to actually restrict the pump like so many people do. I don't like to put any more back pressure than I have to by design.