View Single Post
Old 11/13/2007, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkwudzjeep
Quick question....how bad is it really on the roads on a bike? Are you always on the lookout for crazy car drivers, do people just not see you? I've obviously never had one, but just curious...

I know if riders are cautious, it should be fine, but how fine is it? Does that make any sense?

BTW...sweet bike!!
Thank you "all" for the nice comments.

Let's see...in addition to skill, it has a LOT to do with the rider's maturity level. If you ride like an idiot around traffic there's a good chance you'll get bit because of your own actions. However, you have to ride 100% defensive for a couple reasons...a bike is much smaller than a car and you're sort of mentally trained to focus on cars while driving so most people that pull out in front of you really didn't see you OR you were going too fast - it's really hard to judge the speed of an approaching bike due to the size.

Also, a lot of people start with a bike that has too much power for them to handle as first bike because of status. A 250cc is a great start but most will go straight to a 600 which is what I did. These bikes are NO joke - no matter what the size. The 600's will all run the quarter mile in the 10 second range - that's FAST. My bike is a 1000cc and produces 167 rear wheel horsepower, and it only weighs 365 lbs. It's like a rocket on wheels (definately an advanced rider's bike - but "some" will start here because they are stubborn - and they are the one's who usually get bit the fastest).

That being said, you can have good luck or bad luck no matter what...but I feel you can leverage your "luck" by riding smart