View Single Post
Old 01/08/2006, 01:16 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

All:

Thanks for responding... Another example of the true value of Reef Central to help serious hobbiests..... Based on what I am hearing I will try the following:

1. Order about 50 Mexican Turbo Snails
2. Order some Tuxedo Urchins
3. Empty out my refugium and turn off lights. This will leave my refugium with an 8 inch DSB and no macro Algae. I'll put macro algae back after tank clears up.
4. Turn off all lights in my Display Tank until this Red Hair Algae goes away.
5. Move corals to my old 90 gallon (if needed) with old MH lighting to keep them alive.
6. Blow off LR once a week with powerheads. I'm running 4 Tunze 6200s and have Oceans Motions 8 way closed loop system installed in display tank. This should help clean any die-off due to turning off my lights.
7. Hand Pick any algae off LR as needed.

Acronom: I don't know where this came from. Did not notice any Red Hair Algae on any Frags coming into the tank. My LFS speculates that spores might have been introduced when I added base rock to the tank.... But very honestly I don't know where this stuff came from. The tank is 36 inches tall and I had planned to grow mostly SPS and hard corals. As a result I put in 6 400 Watt HQI lighting..... Certainly more light than needed to cultivate the Red Cotton Nightmare.....

Thanks again for the suggestions and help.... I will update the thread with results either way so that others may avoid this issue and benefit from the experience.....

One more thought: Has anyone tried Hyposalinity as an option to kill this stuff off? Bringing down salinity to 1.009 will not harm the fish but may kill the algae? Any opinions on this?

UPdates will follow........