View Single Post
Old 05/28/2007, 10:28 AM

and that's the unfortunate personality gamble we make with any fish. My orange shoulder is very well behaved. In fact all my fish get along fairly well, but I did have incidents which needed to be corrected too.

When I got my "pair" of rhomboid wrasses, one tried to kill the other in QT. I had ordered 3 kole tangs and one arrived DOA. I was working on the idea that 3+ would be good, but with just two, one beat the other into submission and I had to give it away. I lost 1 of 3 yellow tangs right away too...just never saw it again.

Then, about 3 months ago, one yellow tang and a purple tang decided to pick on the 2nd yellow tang. It holed up in a crevace and would not come out because the other two would get right after it. There was no way for me to extract it, and it looked like it would die of starvation. This went on for weeks. Then one day, I guess it got tired of starving and came out to eat. In less than a week in had rejoined the general population and now looks just a s good as the others. Why did it happen? I have no idea. Why did they let him rejoin? Again, no idea.

Fish do have distinct personalities and no matter what research you do, there is always the chance of social issues and even personality changes as the fish mature. I have tried to add a naso twice and both have done well in QT and then stopped eating in the display and perished within 3 - 4 days. That really has bummed me out.