View Single Post
Old 01/10/2008, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

Just got home from 3 days in Minnesota to find a pregnant male (hehehe that so fun to say) and have a bunch of questions...

I have a 55 gallon tank cutting board bottom, occupants include the two bengais and one super super shy fire fish (ie never comes out, ever since his buddy jumped it hasn't been the same ) a cleaner shrimp, an albino rock boring short spined urchin that never leaves a cave and a giant black serpent star (that I could banish to the sump)

If I don't seperate the male and female from the fry what are the chances that any of the babies live?

Will the male bengai sacrifice himself to carry eggs? He will eat the eggs if he is starving right? Cause I don't really feed the tank that frequently, its already been probably almost a week since I fed last, and if hes not gonna eat until the fry leave his mouth, he wouldn't have eaten for about a month...This is his first litter of pups so Im guessing he'll be okay this is what he's been living his whole life for so he should have some energy reserves.

I found this awesome site
http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/Algae-Pastes-c6.html
any recommendations on what type of phyto i should enrich the brine shrimp with?

We have this floating breeder plastic cube
http://www.fish.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=710224
the holes in the breeder aren't even a millimeter wide so im assuming fry couldn't escape it(??). Should I seperate the male and put him in here before he releases? This would leave him in super close quarters when they do escape his mouth. Or leave the father in the main tank and make a skewer urchin and somehow get the fry into the box later after he releases? Is the box big enough to rear the fry in, in the tank (its 2.5in x 5in x 3in)
It also has a divider could I keep the male in one side and the babies in the other?

Okay thats all I got for now,
I think the male is on day three right now...
so how many days do I have to figure this out before the fry are released??? about 15 days or so?

You guys should try breeding firefish, its possible if you can keep them from jumping, they are the sweetist fish, visually and tempermentally

Last edited by Torpus; 01/10/2008 at 01:21 AM.