View Single Post
Old 07/17/2007, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

Exclamation Missing, Probable Death, Unknown Cause, Many Suspects

Unbeknownst to me, a Blue Devil Damsel had leapt into the overflow. When I performed my regular water change and tank cleaning, I emptied the overflow by removing the drain pipe and emptied the sump with a siphon hose.

I rinsed the overflow with hot chlorinated tap water and then proceeded to empty the hot chlorinated water from the sump with a large ¾” diameter siphon hose. I finally saw the poor Blue Devil in my sump but not in time to keep it from being sucked into the hose. I couldn’t get it out of the hose, so I let it drain down the 25-foot hose into the sink. I was able to grab it from the sink before it was about to flush down the drain.

When I placed the Blue Devil back into the aquarium, the Maroon Clown bit it and attempted to return to his anemone with it. With a stick, I rescued the Blue Devil from the clutches of the clownfish and his anemone cohort. The Blue Devil couldn’t swim but settled down on the sand bed breathing heavily.

A hermit crab then attacked the helpless Blue Devil so I used a stick to defend it for several minutes from all would-be predators. Finally, my wife called me to dinner, so I used the stick to move the distressed fish to the other side of the aquarium where the anemone on the sand bed can keep the hermit crab away. I gently nudged the Blue Devil under a rock where the Maroon Clown doesn’t venture. There it sat on the sand bed still breathing heavily. After dinner, I returned to the aquarium but the Blue Damsel had disappeared and no trace of him was ever found.

We still don't know who or what kidnapped or killed him!

Last edited by pjf; 07/17/2007 at 08:09 PM.