View Single Post
Old 01/05/2008, 09:31 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht
+1, but I'd also check out something like a Ruger Mark 1. IMHO, there's absolutely no point in owning guns (for any purpose, but especially home defense) unless you're really good at using them. And, you're not gonna get good at using any gun unless you put a ton of lead through it. And, trust me - you're much better off putting a lot of lead through something dirt cheap and simple (think: 22 pistol or rifle!)

Owning a "cool" handgun that you've never put more than a few dozen rounds through is not only pointless, it's pretty dangerous. IMHO at least. So either get out there and shoot it or buy something cheaper and easier to learn on.
Exactly, and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE is even more important with a pistol because all it takes it having the gun tilted one way or jerking the trigger a tiny bit to move that shot several inches.

Something in a .22 or believe it or not AIR category are a great platform to really learn on. A bigger caliber is great and all, but unfortunately time after time with beginners who try to learn on a bigger caliber they develop a really bad habit of jerking the trigger or flinching - because they're expecting that recoil. And with a pistol if you want to be accurate you can't have any of that. With .22 or air there isn't any of that recoil and you can learn to hold it there, squeeze the trigger evenly, follow through, and not have the gun move in the slightest .

As for the original question - I can't even begin to list all the guns we have . I don't shoot too awful much anymore but dad and my brother are always coming home with a new gun. We have everything from competition air pistols, to different .22 calibers, to blackpowder rifles and pistols.

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71