View Single Post
Old 08/19/2007, 11:06 PM
Team RC Member

chetm2 - Thanks, that's great info about the liquid thread sealer - I've never heard of that before. Do you have any specific information on this stuff, like what it's actually called and where I can get it? As a follow-up, since tightening the connection I've had no more problems with that small leak, and I hope I won't need that liquid sealant, but it'll be nice to know about.

Abaco24 - I'm glad my documentation has been helpful to you. Closed loops have their merits, but they aren't without a downside. The primary advantage would be the ability to create a lot of flow with little equipment inside the display, as well as the ability to vary that flow with, say, something like an OM 4-way or 8-way. The downsides include the need for bulkheads and extra plumbing which have the potential for a leak, and often-used large pumps which may be power hogs (read "higher electrical bill"). I personally didn't want a bunch of power heads in my tank, which is why I went with the CL. Time will tell if I've made the right decision; I think I have. Closed loops are usually not connected to any controller to create a wave function. They create random flow with devices such as the OM unit I'm using, or a SCWD, which switches the current between 2 different outlets, or they often just run full blast through all of the returns to the tank. They're highly modifiable, and I encourage you to type in "closed loop" in the RC search function, sit back, and prepare to read for about a week straight!

melev & LoneStarSA - thanks for providing those definitions.

Now give me a few minutes so I can upload some pics!!!