View Single Post
Old 08/22/2007, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

I am happy with the lights. However, for the money, I think the Lumenarc's are better. I have a couple friends running LAIII reflectors on their tanks and they are way brighter than my LumenMax's. I think the LumenMax's help concentrate the light in a smaller area and the Lumenarc's spread it out more. I think these are the top 2 reflectors but I think the Lumenarc's are better, depending on the situation.

The tank is doing well. I have turned the 75 gallon into a refugium. It has a 5" DSB and is lit by 2 x 250w XM 10K's. The cheato grows extremely fast under this lighting. Every 2 weeks I have to harvest it because it starts growing out of the water and dies where it dries out. I literally take 3/4th's of it out and 2 weeks later it needs to be harvested again. Each harvest typically fills a 5 gallon bucket packed full. Since I started growing the chaeto, the skimmer has ceased producing any skimmate. The only time it produces skimmate is after I harvest chaeto. My guess is that when I harvest the chaeto, I leave behind the stuff that was at the bottom and recieving weak to no light. It take this stuff a couple days to adjust to the bright light before it starts growing. During these couple days the skimmer does skim a little bit. I am considering getting rid of the skimmer altogether, or selling it and buying a much smaller skimmer.

For those that have not seen, here is a picture of my tank from last month: